16 August 2010

Pimiento Chese

I have written before of my love of the summer BLT (or BOLT). Every once in a while, however, one of my guests is a vegetarian and doesn’t want the B in that delicious sandwich. So instead I haul out the cheese and serve CLTS (or COLTS).

I fell in love with pimiento cheese when I lived in Tennessee. I’m not sure why it never caught on here in Yankeeland, but I enjoy whipping up a batch from time to time.

Many of you will be appalled at the addition of salt to an already sodium-rich concoction so I’m making the salt optional, but it does bring the flavors out. Obviously, the hot peppers should be used to taste as well.

Ingredients:

1/2 pound sharp cheddar cheese, coarsely grated
1 7-ounce jar roasted red peppers, drained (reserve 1 tablespoon of the liquid) and finely chopped
2 jalapeño peppers, seeded and finely chopped
several turns of the pepper grinder
1 tablespoon red-pepper brine
salt to taste (start with 1/2 teaspoon)
mayonnaise to taste (start with 1 tablespoon)

Instructions:

In a medium bowl combine all ingredients. Stir to combine. If the mixture doesn’t hold together, add a little more mayonnaise.

Chill the cheese blend for at least 1/2 hour. Makes about 1 cup compacted pimiento cheese.

2 comments:

  1. I couldn't agree more Tinky - pimento cheese has always been a favorite of mine too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. They used to sell this at the IGA in Rockport in the deli --- though not as good as yours I'm sure! Sounds delicious to me.

    ReplyDelete