04 October 2009

An Autumn Anniversary


My father died eleven years ago today.

My dog Truffle and I went around the block today to the Pudding Hollow Cemetery to lay a small pumpkin on his grave.

I love his epitaph (my mother’s idea): “A Gentle Man.” Simple and apt.

I also love the cemetery itself. Behind my father’s grave is a stone wall–and behind the stone wall the hills are just beginning to take on color, just as they were in October 1998.


I don’t delude myself that my father’s spirit is actually there in the Pudding Hollow Cemetery. He would never linger long in a place so quiet. He loved conversation, activity … people.

Nevertheless, it’s a lovely spot in which to remember his humor, wisdom, and charm.

If you’d like to read more about my wonderful, gentle father, take a look at the post I wrote on what would have been his 90th birthday. And please take a little time today to celebrate your own parents……..






6 comments:

  1. Elizabeth Sheppard04 October, 2009

    What a lovely article. And the photos show a vivid, beautiful setting for your father's final resting place. Thank you for sharing your thoughts here.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Betsy Kovacs04 October, 2009

    We loved him very much, those of us who knew him. And still miss him!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Virginia Ray04 October, 2009

    And here's to a sparkling autumn day and the sparkling spirit of Abe Weisblat!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a beautiful setting and what a beautiful marker. I love the reminiscent New England shape with the sunrise. The setting could not be lovelier, in keeping with the family.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Kati Kovacs04 October, 2009

    Your dad was a kind and gentle man -- and a terrific story teller! Some of his best qualities live on in you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Chris Miller05 October, 2009

    What a lovely remembrance of your Father and the anniversary of his passing! And what beautiful photos of his final resting place. But your words are so true: that he does not rest there as the joy of his life was the people and the action!

    ReplyDelete